Again, I apologize for the formatting. WordPress is not a fan of Macs, I guess. On the list today is a new to me artist Christy McDonald, the amazing Connie Francis, Eurythmics, Destiny’s Child, and Eminem of all people. Hey, the dude has some anger issues! This is useful to me.
- Cheater by Christy McDonald I also recently discovered this song. Why ya gotta be a cheater, cheater? she asks repeatedly. Christy, that’s an excellent question and I would love to know the answer, although I’m sure he would say it’s all my fault.
The next two are by Connie Francis. Say what? I know. I’m reaching way back. But give her a try. She’s more than just her hit song, “Where the Boys Are” (although make no mistake- that song is excellent!).
2. Who’s Sorry Now An oldie but a goodie! Right ’til the end, just like a friend I tried to warn you somehow. You had your way. Now you must pay. I’m glad that you’re sorry now. I did indeed try to warn him. And he will indeed be sorry. It may take a few more months, but it will happen. 3. Lipstick on Your Collar I like this one because Connie, like most female singers of that time period, did a lot of the ol’ “I love you so much, please come back to me, I don’t care what you did to me or how you did me wrong”. So this one was a nice change. Lipstick on your collar told a tale on you. Lipstick on your collar said you were untrue. Bet your bottom dollar you and I are through. Cause lipstick on your collar told a tale on you.
4. Survivor by Destiny’s Child. This whole song is an anthem of how much better off life is without the cheater (or person, in this case. I don’t know if it was written specifically about a cheater.) They sing: Now that you’re out of my life I’m so much better. You thought that I’d be weak without you but I’m stronger. You thought that I’d be broke without you but I’m richer. You thought that I’d be sad without you. I laugh harder. You thought I wouldn’t grow without you. Now I’m wiser. Thought that I’d be helpless without you but I’m smarter. You thought that I’d be stressed without you but I’m chillin’. YES! 5. I’m Still Standing by Elton John ‘Nuff said!
The next four songs are by Eminem; the first two feature Rihanna and the last one features Skylar Grey. The Monster doesn’t really seem to apply to this list but I liked the song. I know there are a few other songs later on that don’t make much sense. I can only say I liked the songs and they make me feel happy. And hey, if there’s anything we can learn from cheaters, it’s that whatever makes them happy is the most important thing of all! I know some of the lyrics to his songs are misogynistic so I’m going to offer the same excuse my daughter gives me when I’m giving her a hard time about the lyrics to some of the songs she likes. She always says: Mom, I don’t listen to the lyrics; I just like the beat! So, I’m not listening to most of the lyrics; I just listen to the chorus.
6. The Monster I could take this one of two ways. Either I’m crazy and enjoying it, or CF was crazy and enjoying. I think we’ll go with him being crazy. 7. Love the Way You Lie Just gonna stand there and watch me burn. But that’s alright because I like the way it hurts. Just gonna stand there and hear me cry. But that’s alright, because I love the way lie. I love the way you lie. Need we say more? 8. So Much Better My life would be so much better if you just dropped dead. I was laying in bed last night thinking and this thought just popped in my head And I thought, wouldn’t shit just be a lot easier if you dropped dead? I would feel so much better. Eminem just gets me! 9. Asshole I love the chorus. It’s short and to the point. Everybody knows that you’re just an asshole. Everywhere that you go, people want to go home, everyone knows. Everybody knows, so don’t pretend to be nice. There’s no place you can hide, you are just an asshole. Everyone knows, everyone knows.
10. Would I Lie to You by the Eurythmics Hey, lookie there, another song about lying! Would I lie to you? Would I lie to you, honey? Now would I say something that wasn’t true? I’m asking you sugar, would I lie to you? Of course you would, CF!