Did you know yesterday, January 4, was National Spaghetti Day? I didn’t either! How could I not know about such a monumental occasion?
I should have made spaghetti last night. No, I should have known about this back in 2016 and started my blog on January 4th!
For those of you who don’t know the backstory of how my blog got its name let me share. As I was on my way to see my lawyer and file for divorce Jerry Lee texted me and asked me if I had paid off the pool, since he no longer saw huge amounts of cash in our checking account. I let him know that no, I had not, but since he was fucking Harley I figured I needed to protect myself and the kids. He replied that he understood and nothing else was said. Until…. about an half an hour later when he texted me and asked if I was still making spaghetti for dinner.
For a man with a supposed genius level IQ and a photographic memory he sure is stupid and forgetful. I was always very honest with him and told him if I ever killed him I would poison him. Yet here he is asking me if I’m going to make him dinner when he knows I know he moved me and my kids across the country so that he could fuck his cousin. Oh, those good ol’ days.
In honor of National Spaghetti Day and instead of reliving my homicidal urges I’m going to list the top 25 store bought pasta sauces as ranked by Brenda Cain and Yadi Rodriguez of cleveland.com.
25. Ragu, Chunky Sauteed Onion and Garlic
24. Specially Selected, Pumpkin Chipotle
23. Monte Bene, Vodka
22. Rao’s Homemade, Arrabbiata
21. Victoria, Vodka Sauce
20. Simply Balanced, Organic Roasted Garlic
19. Guy Fieri, Traditional Old Skool
18. Prego, Roasted Garlic Parmesan
17. Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church, Marinara
16. Guy Fieri, Spicy Tomato
15. Sam’s Choice, Italia Pasta Sauce
14. Mario Batali, All Vodka
13. Heinen’s, Organic Marinara
12. Mid’s, Mushroom and Roasted Garlic
11. Fresh Thyme, Six Cheese Pasta Sauce
10. Stino da Napoli, Arrabbiata
9. Sam’s Choice, Italia Puttanesca
8. Fresh Thyme, Marinara
7. Newman’s Own, Sockarooni
6. Dante, Sausage Ragu
5. Mezzetta, Italian Plum Tomato
4. Carfagna’s, Pasta Sauce
3. Jar Goods, Classic Spicy
2. Bertolli, Rustic Cut Sweet Peppers & Portobello Mushroom
1. Classico, Italian Sausage with Peppers and Onions
If you’d like to see the complete list of all 174 jarred pasta sauces they sampled you can look here.
Personally, I tend to make my own. It usually comes out pretty good. The basic recipe is this:
1 lb. of ground beef, although you could use sausage, venison, or a combination of those.
2 cans of diced tomatoes with the garlic, basil and oregano seasonings
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can on tomato sauce, preferably with the garlic, basil, and oregano seasonings
1-2 jars of button mushrooms
Brown the meat, drain the grease, add the rest of the ingredients. Voila!
I’ve also diced up some peppers and zucchini and grated some carrot before sautéing that up and adding it to the sauce. Feel free to add additional oregano, garlic and basil if you’d like.
I am so ready for National Spaghetti Day next year!