I had someone ask me for my low carb taco soup recipe so I thought I would share with the group. I found this recipe on Plain Chicken. The blogger shares a ton of yummy recipes. Most of it is not low carb but she does have a few things, including this amazing taco soup. She says it’s so good you’ll want to lick the bowl clean; I kinda agree with her. I haven’t licked the bowl yet but I do frequently go back for second servings. Another thing that makes this soup a winner is that it is so simple to make and most of the ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this bowl licking soup:
2 lb. ground beef cooked
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) package of Velveeta cheese or shredded cheddar
1 (1 oz.) package Ranch Seasoning and Salad Dressing Mix
3 TBSP taco or southwestern seasoning (she uses Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning so that’s what I used as well)
2 (10 oz.) cans Ro*Tel tomatoes and green chiles
4 cups beef broth
How do you make this bowl licking soup?
Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (The recipe calls for cooked ground beef but I don’t know anybody who buys it like that so step one: brown the beef! Step two: dump everything into the crock pot).
You can also make this on the stove top. Again, dump everything into the pot (after you’ve browned the beef), bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Here are a few tips from me:
- I chose to cut the Velveeta cheese and cream cheese into squares.
- I found that when I cooked this in the slow cooker the cream cheese didn’t want to thoroughly melt. I scooped the pieces out along with a bit of the liquid and used an immersion blender to get it fully blended. You could leave it in the crockpot and use the immersion blender but I didn’t like the idea of blending up the hamburger. When I cooked it on the stove top I did not have this problem; the cream cheese was thoroughly melted and blended in. If you do find that there are chunks of cream cheese in your soup, even when cooking on the stove, feel free to get out your handy dandy immersion blender and blend away.
- I used the Velveeta instead of the cheddar cheese so I can’t vouch for how great that is. I’m sure it’s wonderful. I also couldn’t find an 8 oz. container of Velveeta. The smallest one I found was 16 oz. so I just cut it in half. I turned around and made this soup again a few days later so it didn’t go to waste.
- I’m a big baby when it comes to heat and food, but I used the original Ro*Tel instead of the mild version and it was fine.
- I’ve been serving this with sour cream and shredded cheese as toppings. She suggests sour cream, shredded cheese, and cilantro. You can add whatever you desire. I would add some tortilla strips if I wasn’t doing low carb.
- If you’re watching your carbs you want to be careful about the kind of taco seasoning you use. That is why she suggests Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning.
- If you’re not watching your carbs feel free to throw in a can of black beans and/or corn.